This posting is on behalf of Sheels in The Colony, Texas. This is not for direct employment through Brownells.
Scheels is driven to attract and retain the best people in sports and fashion retail that thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a desire to become a Scheels expert. Offering the most thorough and interactive training in retail, our associates have succeeded in making Scheels a shopping destination and world class experience for our customers. Our goal is to be the best retailer in USA in the eyes of our customers, associates, and business partners. We would love to have you join the Scheels team!
The CNC Operator/Machinist is responsible for setting up and operating CNC machines to particular specification and adjust the machine to produce quality parts and tools specific to engineering drawings and client requirements. The CNC Operator works with the other associates in the shop to coordinate product flow through the machining process. This position will also be trained to work as a gunsmith.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understands specifications of the task at hand and the desired result by reading blueprints, mechanical drawings, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, machining parameters, interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T), etc.
- Translates instructions into computer commands so the machines can perform the correct function
- Plans stock inventory by checking stock to determine amount available; anticipating needed stock, placing and expediting orders for stock and verifying receipt of stock
- Prepares and operates CNC machines to perform tasks such as drilling, grinding, milling etc.
- Programs mills and lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points, setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches
- Prepares a test run to check if the machines produce outputs according to specifications
- Supervises the machines while they execute the tasks and make any necessary adjustments to produce a better result
- Inspects and measures finished products and compares them with requirements to determine if the process has been completed properly
- Records all machine actions by completing production and quality logs
- Checks machinery daily to ensure functionality
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions and calling for repairs
- Maintains continuity of process flow by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Provides timelines to clients
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification required
- 3 years’ experience as a CNC Machine Operator
- Industry knowledge required
- Firearm interest/enthusiast required
- Computer savvy with basic understanding of computer programming and CAD/CAM
- Inventory Control
- Ability to translate mechanical documents and engineering drawings
- Great attention to detail with a goal-driven attitude
- Mechanical aptitude and good math skills
- Strong comprehension and analytical abilities
- Good computer and mathematical skills
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS
- The working area is primarily in a workshop environment located around other types of grinding machines
- Operation of the machine requires working with, and coming into contact with, oil-based coolants
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend at the waist, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, walk, push/pull, lift, talk, and hear with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Exposed to various chemicals during the cleaning and bluing process. Occasionally be exposed to loud to very loud noises in the work area while using the test fire booth
- Must be flexible to work assigned schedule between 9a.m. and 9p.m., Monday through Saturday, 11a.m. and 5p.m., Sunday. Schedule may include varied hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, must be available minimum of three weekends a month. Average hours per week is 40 hours
WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A SCHEELS EXPERT:
- Customer Service
- Genuinely and consistently treat co-workers, customers and business partners like they are the most important person including eye contact, a smile and a genuine “Thank you”
- Approach daily tasks, projects and follow-up communication with energy and sense of urgency
- Cultivate a deep desire to become a knowledge expert in their role with the ability to apply their knowledge and experience with great impact
- Show respect and appreciation for others and Scheels
- Arrive to work and meetings 10 minutes early
- Servant Leadership
- Genuine interest and action in helping others before yourself, regardless of recognition or reward
- Consistent eagerness to listen, learn, apply knowledge and accept critical feedback
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
- Ability to apply concepts of basic math, grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Dress Code
- Meets Scheels dress and grooming expectations in support of professional, clean and welcoming environment for customers, co-workers and business partners
- Demonstrate pride and ownership of their work while meeting expected deadlines
Scheels offers a complete benefits package to include:
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Best Discount in Retail
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Short Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- All State Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Pay
- Maternity Leave
- Equal Employment Opportunity
Scheels is an equal employment opportunity employer providing equal employment opportunities to individuals regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Scheels will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals when appropriate.